I work in IT, so seeing a custom firmware on a printer with a custom application running on the printer serial board does probably make sense if you’ve got the capital to pull something like that off. Imagine forcing a printer to always communicate exactly how you want/intend it to. It has to make the support side of things fairly easy. No chance for a user and/or hacker to change that. But from a strictly personal and selfish perspective, I just add this to the long, long list of things that I dislike about Bank of America. 🙂
Anyway, I’ve decided now that the jumper switches are in-place and I’ve confirmed that serial communication to the printer is working at 2400 baud (albeit from a PC), it’s time to move to the Commodore.
After a few quick tests, things weren’t working. Again. Grrreeeeeaaaat.
My program won’t work. I move to using a “real” terminal program, specifically NovaTerm. Messing around with it, can’t get it going. Change my cabling to use a(n additional) null-modem adapter and it starts working!! Switch back to my BASIC program and the success continues!
I then started messing with creating code using the ESC/POS command set to control the printer on a bit deeper level than just sending text to it and have had pretty decent success so far.
More to follow soon!